Sunday, November 6, 2011

Hitting the road

The morning we left, we were finally ready. I hooked up the trailer, said goodbye to the neighbors, and away we went.

It was still snowing.

We decided the southern route via I25 through Raton Pass would be the least likely to be a dangerous route during the storm. I70 through the mountains was a mess past Eisenhower Tunnel.

We stopped for gas somewhere near Colorado City. I made a wrong turn and ended up on a dead end street, with just a muddy hill to turn around in. I figured we could handle a bit of mud. I was wrong.

As we pulled around, and were on a rather slight hill, the RV and trailer started sliding sideways. I let off the gas, hoping to coast out of it, but we stopped all forward motion and kept sliding sideways. I absolutely expected to flip on our side. Happily, that didn't happen, but we did get stuck. The slide stopped in a mud pool, up to the axles. I just spun the wheels trying to get out, but eventually was able to rock the RV and trailer onto more solid "ground".

It was starting to get dark at this point, so I checked the weather and found that Raton Pass was a skating rink. Having experienced first hand what the Hippo would do when traction is lost, we decided to stay the night at the KOA in Colorado City.

This was our first camp night in the Hippo! I had no idea what to expect. But I just wanted to rest so I plugged in the shore power, and found the 12v house lights didn't work. Nor did the propane heater. So we plugged in two space heaters and went to bed.

In the morning it was bright and sunny, but with the wonderful snow on the ground.




To give the road time to dry, we did some laundry at that KOA, and tried to figure out where the house 12v went. The aux battery was depleted when I got the RV, but figured between driving it and the converter built into the RV it would be charged by now. I checked the battery and it's at 12.3v. Not ideal, but should have been enough. Well, time to hit the road...

No comments:

Post a Comment